Sunday, November 30, 2014

Oh, how I love Fall!

Fall has come and gone, but I still see reminders of it now and then between dumps of snow.  I don't know how many times I stood outside this year, breathing in the Fall air and thanking God for allowing me to be home for Fall for another year.
 
In October I had the chance to head to Pennsylvania for a wonderful break.  I was tipped off about a great website called www.airbnb.ca where you can rent a single room in peoples' homes, or their whole house depending on their situation. The place I chose ended up being right in the center of historic Lancaster (perfect!) and I spent many hours just wandering the cobblestone streets and checking out the shops. 
 

Historic Lancaster.
 


My hosts were apparently artists, as evidenced by all the unique findings around their house. 



Thankfully I didn't have to share a room with these family members.






The initial reason for my trip was to see the Mutter Museum in Philadelphia and scratch an item off my bucket list, so I took the train to Philly for a day.  The museum was all I'd hoped it would be (filled with medical oddities...sorry, no pictures!) and as a bonus I got to try my first Philly Cheese Steak (below). 
 



 I had planned on taking a tour of the Eastern State Penitentiary while in Philadelphia, but after the somewhat gruesome contents of the Mutter Museum I felt I needed something a bit more uplifting.  So I grabbed a coffee and started wandering...and happened upon the Philadelphia Museum of Art.  Pictures do this behemoth of a building no justice.  I didn't go inside but enjoyed some of the art pieces outside.



 While in Lancaster I found out that an old co-worker and good friend from the Philippines was home in the States and only minutes away.  It was so great to catch up with Christina Canapp after all these years! 


The biggest perk of my trip was meeting up with my parents who happened to be on a tour of Lancaster while I was there!  What are the chances??  We had a great time exploring a bit more of the area together and driving back to Ontario.  Mom and I even hit up a fabric store to pick up supplies for my long-awaited quilt!
 

Dad and mom spoiled us all rotten by taking me and my sister and her family (who also work here in Ontario) to the Great Wolf Lodge for two days. 
 


Quality family time. J
 

The themed Lodge brought out the kid in all of us.




My nephew, Joseph, with all his arcade winnings. 


More spoiling with a trip to Niagara Falls.  It was as cold and wet as it looks!  Mom had never been to the Falls before so it was fun to see her childhood dream fulfilled.



A windy photo op.


My niece, Sydney, catching the Falls.



So thankful to have had this time with my lovely parents!
 
 

Photo bomb.
 
Pennsylvania, New York, Niagara Falls...this Fall provided lots of great memories and special times with family and friends.

2 comments:

  1. What great pictures and memories with family and friends. So fun you got to catch up with Christina! And my youngest sister is living and working on her master's degree just minutes from Lancaster...I stopped by there for a few days after Joanna's wedding this spring on my way back to Norway, and looooooved the atmosphere and shops and cafes. (And the horse and buggy parking spots in the Target parking lot!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely photos. .Wish I can go for a vacation too ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! :)